Tuesday, August 26, 2008

So far so good. Today we wrote and discussed the Chinese Proverb

- Talk does not cook Rice.

It was a better discussion than I thought it would be. Many of the students had very unique responses to what I thought was a very simple and to-the-point idea. It goes to show that it all depends on the tools each of us is packing around with us. Each person will look at the world in so many different ways. I love this and I have to say that my love for this concept has been the driving force in my love of literary analysis. I wish I would have been able to see this in my high school lit. classes. It could have made a huge difference in my life. I guess this guilt, or regret, is the driving force in my teaching. If I can get one student to look at the world in a more understanding and accepting way, I will feel good about what I have done.

I understand that I can't save the world, but I also understand that I have the ability to perhaps save one life. I don't propose it is a person's ability to understand the world that will save them, but it may be the fact that they can understand themselves through the world that does.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't think you can't save the world. You just might. Think of the effect kids have on each other---if you save one, you've saved more than one. Whatever you do, as long as you care, it's a good thing--don't forget that!
Love,
Mom